Twenty nine years ago, twin boys were born at a small hospital in Alaska. Eighteen years later, I would meet one of them at a small college in Virginia and marry him five years later! While I usually avoid sappy posts on my blog (or anything that isn’t frugal-related), I decided to publicly
embarrass wish my husband a happy birthday, since I know how much he loves being featured in my posts. And, what better way to showcase his life thus far than to share ten things I love about him. Be thankful, I was originally planning to post twenty-nine things, but interruptions from the four-year old saved you!
- He loves the Lord. While there are times I’ve seen him snoring softly through his morning Bible reading, he’s usually up at 5 AM to read his Bible before he leaves for work. For someone who despises early mornings, it’s a pretty huge commitment!
- I have it on a four-year old’s authority that he’s the “best daddy in the whole wide world.” If you ask her why, she’s happy to launch into a long explanation about how he takes her to the “BIIIIIIG” playground while her mom opts for the puny one down the street, because it’s so much closer.
- He’s a practical romantic. Growing up with all brothers, he’s a little befuddled when it comes to hearts, flowers, and chick flicks, preferring to heckle the poor lovesick swain than to drop a few tears. But, dead tired or not, he happily takes “A” out so I can have a few minutes of peace or surprises me with a sparkling clean house when I come back from grocery shopping.
- He can fix anything. Whether it’s a faulty oven coil or the breaks on our car, he does all our home/car/electronic maintenance. For his penny pinching wife, this is pretty much the pinnacle of all greatness.
- He’s a nerd through and through. This not only provides me with amusement when he talks in his sleep (last night, he was trying to ask if I’d like a glass of water but instead blearily offered to reset my password) but it also makes him terrific at his job.
- He’s generous with his time and resources. From sharing a portion of his lunch with homeless people near his office to working on a friend’s car free of charge, he’s always willing to help someone out.
- He has a good sense of humor. Not that I always appreciate it, mind you (you know, like the time he placed a live frog in my study cube at college)…but, he can always make me laugh, regardless of how bleak the situation might be!
- He’s a great listener. Being married to me, he’s had great practice! As a stay-at-home mom, I’m generally desperate for an adult to talk to by the time he gets home from work.
- He never goes to bed mad. Since we both have pretty fiery tempers, he promised to not “let the sun go down on his wrath” when we got married. And, even though we don’t always resolve our conflicts, he will always apologize for whatever part he played in the argument (which really takes the wind out of my judgmental sails! ).
- He’s my best friend. From taking me to the outlets (and feigning interest in my purchases!) to staying up late to chat about everything and nothing in particular, I couldn’t ask for a better friend to share my life with!